Sunday, October 28, 2012

Perfectionism, a motivation killer?

Hey guys, I have been i hiatus from blogging. I got me a job, I am feeding my town pizza. yes, you guess it Dominos! Don't get me wrong I like working there. Got great friends, good tips, and just feels like a family there. It was just to me that since I was not making as much as I was before was a change that made me think I belonged in a mental hospital.

Lets play Back to the future and go back in time... its April 2012! I was sweating outside in a pipe yard with some of my crew moving pipe around, when my boss comes up and says " hey your interested in being in the office?" Me being the computer literate and always feel like if its something to do with the computer I am your man! I jumped on it faster then I could even get the word out.

Fast Forward. Its on my third day of training. I come home that night feeling great. I'm Learning what to do, and I get a good amount of time to do what I need to do. Then the hammer of unfairness came and hit like a brick and just turned my life upside down. My supervisor called and said "well one dude couldn't keep up with his shift, your now in charge of the shift!" She said come to work at 2, i said well what time do i get off? She replied just 1 in the morning. :0. That was my face. I was going to be alone for about 8 hours with little training. My perfectionism that I thought was keeping me in check and letting me do a good job was actually holding me back.
As time went on people expected a lot from me and I felt everyday was something new I learned. And this is oilfield work so supervisors and my boss, were not exactly "kind".

Well fast forward a few more month.. I was at home and I went and looked in the mirror... What happened to me? My face was a little sunken in, my stomach and ribs looked like I belong in a National Geographic magazine ( this is not meant to be funny). I was harassed a lot for being the only male in the office. I was called very offensive names. I had many doctors appointments. Headaches everything else you name it I probably experience it. It was to a point where they thought I had ulcers, because I was not eating much but I was bleeding for some reason. Well while looking in the mirror I just seemed so tired and sick looking, and not very happy. Every day of work I was nervous at what was going to happen that day. On my days off I was so stressed and worried when the days I come back. It was hard to deal with. Well anyways I don't have to say anything, it was a temp job and my contract ended. I just learned a lot from that job. I was just worrying about all the stuff I had to do during the night. I was worried about what people thought.. Even though they were pretty verbal with how they felt about me. I was stressed about the future. I wanted everything to go perfect. One little mistake can ruin my whole work day. And all the worry and stress I brought home and it was not fair to my wife.

Well anyways I just wanted to talk about how perfectionism can really hurt someones career or just their daily lives. Nothing will go perfect, people like to hear about imperfections. Talk about how you have a irrational fear of kittens with top hats. It just goes to show that others are human too. Like the Alexander pope said in part of his quote "to err is human."

Don't dread over tomorrow if you made a small mistake just brush it off and move on. heck if it was funny laugh it off because it is also healthy to laugh at yourself. If you can't then thats a problem in itself.

In a interview say for a company that you have been dreaming of going for a while. If you say your a perfectionist you pretty much killed it. People now a days recognized it as a problem more then a asset. If your a constant worrier just take a breathe, look at all that your blessed with and just be thankful things are not as bad as they are. Shoot I am in a position of high stress and it was and sometimes is hard to deal with, but its a everyday thing. You wake up every morning and you either make it a good day or bad.
We are the masters of our emotions and actions. If we let the chains of perfectionism, anxiety, worry, and all those other bad monsters  break. Who knows what we can accomplished? I want to develop something for the iPhone. I have a great idea for a case and  also working on programming a app. Will both of these take time and hard work? Yes. If I keep my mind on it and work hard can it be accomplished? Yes.

Breaking free from all those Chains of Perfectionism, the world can be yours with hard work and determination and a willing not to give up.

Great luck for all who reads this and actually go and do what they want.

This has been The Clever Leaf Signing off.

Thanks Friends Please comment and Plus 1 if you enjoy!!

-Tyler Leaf

No comments:

Post a Comment